Monday, October 18, 2010

Daring Adventure or Nothing...

I got up out of bed the other night when I was feeling the loneliness of living as a single in a "Noah’s Ark two-by-two" world. I tried to think of people that I know who are single and living out their lives in a purposeful way. I don’t know much about Luci Swindoll but I do know that she is single so I did a search for quotes by her. I’d seen at some point that she wrote a book called “I Married Adventure”. In the early morning hours I found some motivating quotes by her and was encouraged.

People have called me adventurous over the years. Then at the age of 50 my life was suddenly rerouted for a few years due to a health crisis...seriously, don't drink the water in Mexico ;)...and my dreams were seemingly shattered as a result. Even though I'm now back to good health, I’ve been uncertain about whether I will still have the energy to be adventurous. I’d become a little reluctant and hesitant to dream again, resigned to living an ‘ordinary’ life.

I’m not sure yet what the new dream...the new adventure...is, but that night after reading Luci’s quotes I got up and went to a local church that I don’t normally attend. Guess what the pastor was speaking about? Yup!! “Choosing to live an adventurous Christian life.” I think there's a message there for me loud and clear! As I learn to dream again, I am finding little day to day ways to be adventurous.
And I'm filled with a sense of quiet expectation and anticipation.
Helen Keller stated that "Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."

3 comments:

  1. A friend just posted this Steven Curtis Chapman song: Dive...and it strikes me that it fits well with what I've written here about Adventure!

    The long awaited rains
    Have fallen hard upon the thirsty ground
    And carved their way to where
    The wild and rushing river can be found
    And like the rains
    I have been carried here to where the river flows yeah
    My heart is racing and my knees are weak
    As I walk to the edge
    I know there is no turning back
    Once my feet have left the ledge
    And in the rush I hear a voice
    That’s telling me it’s time to take the leap of faith
    So here I go

    I’m diving in I’m going deep in over my head I want to be
    Caught in the rush lost in the flow in over my head I want to go
    The river’s deep the river’s wide the river’s water is alive
    So sink or swim I’m diving in

    There is a supernatural power
    In this mighty river’s flow
    It can bring the dead to life
    And it can fill an empty soul
    And give a heart the only thing
    Worth living and worth dying for yeah
    But we will never know the awesome power
    Of the grace of god
    Until we let ourselves get swept away
    Into this holy flood
    So if you’ll take my hand
    We’ll close our eyes and count to three
    And take the leap of faith
    Come on let’s go

    ReplyDelete
  2. The aforementioned friend: http://barneybrain.blogspot.com/2010/10/what-makes-your-heart-sing.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got it, soul sistah!! I just posted the words here at the same time as you wrote that. Swept away into this holy flood!! Oh yeah!!

    ReplyDelete